Hola everyone! I'm coming with a good news for you all, especially for coffee addicts! Maybe some of you already knew that Starbucks just opened their 1st Starbucks Reserve™ in Surabaya! :D
Not literally at new place, because it's still located inside Galaxy Mall. Yes, they just revamped their old store in GM with new concept, STARBUCKS RESERVE™!
The opening event of Starbucks Reserve™ was held at 12 March 2015, and I was one of their invitee :) Aside of invited their loyal customers, Starbucks also invited a number of bloggers in Surabaya. Anyway, I'm wondering if actually Starbucks had sent invitation e-mail to all their registered members (RSVP was needed) or not, because some of my friends didn't receive the notification e-mail, while I actually also received the notification e-mail as well. Or maybe it's because they didn't subscribe the newsletter? Hmm.. Perhaps.
I came earlier and they didn't allow invitee to come inside before 6 PM. Alright, I'll wait here then :D
As a invited blogger, I always try my best to come on time or earlier to any events. Because it's better come earlier than late ;)
Starbucks Reserve™ in Galaxy Mall, Surabaya
Officially opened to public starts from 13 March 2015.
Okay, it's 6 PM now and after redeemed my goodie bag, I strolled around the location and began to do my duty as blogger. Let's go inside! :D
Starbucks Reserve™ is a category of ultra-premium coffee that elevates the coffee experience which shows the pinnacle of our coffee leadership and passion in Indonesia. Carrying the most exotic, rare and exquisite whole bean, the Starbucks Reserve™ coffee is exclusively available at the one and only Starbucks Reserve™ store.
The current Starbucks Reserve™ stores offer 3 Starbucks Reserve™ coffees: Starbucks Reserve™ Nicaragua Cabo Azul, Starbucks Reserve™ Colombia Montebonito and Starbucks Reserve™ Ethiopia Konga. These whole beans are rare and extremely limited coffees, each hand-picked for their distinctive flavors and unusual locales around the world.
Introducing a new quintessential Starbucks experience, Starbucks ReserveTM stores will be using the world’s best coffee brewing methods available, mainly the Pour-Over and French Press, which brings out the intricate and beautiful flavor profiles of the individual coffees.
|Do you believe in the potential of the tiny bean?|
FYI, Starbucks Reserve™ is currently only available in Grand Indonesia, Jakarta and Galaxy Mall, Surabaya. Starbucks Reserve™ is an answer for coffee addicts who look for ultra-premium, rare and enjoyable coffees :D
|more invitees kept coming! ;)|
|welcome drink for me and my partner|
|It's full already!|
They expanded previous store and changed some interior, it's become more spacious and can load more customers now! ^.^
Thank you for having me, Starbucks!
The event was officially started. While introducing Ethiopia Konga, they provided free tester cups and cake (as complement) for invitees. I also tried it myself :D
SUN-DRIED ETHIOPIA KONGA
Flavor: Bright and juicy with strawberry, bing cherry and sweet, woodsy vanilla notes.
Summary: Sun-Dried Ethiopia Konga is processed using an unusual and striking processing method that results in layers of complex flavors.
|I forgot the name of that cake.. maybe berries cake ._.|
Ethiopia Konga' Key Message Hierarchy
1. This coffee’s flavors are delivered through an interesting processing method:
- In Ethiopia, Grade 1 coffee cherries are the highest quality coffees, and they are typically wash processed to remove the fruit from around the bean, resulting in a coffee with bright acidity and floral notes. But in this case, coffee growers in the Wote Konga kebele (similar to a neighborhood) separated their Grade 1 cherry for sun drying and allowed their coffee cherry to dry in the sun before processing.
- Only the ripest and best quality cherries (identified through soaking) were selected for drying on raised drying tables. The cherries were regularly shuffled to optimize a uniform drying. Going a step further, jute bags and plastic covers were used to cover the cherries, to slow down the drying, giving our Sun-Dried Ethiopia Konga greater complexity and increasing the longevity of the flavors and sweetness in the aftertaste.
- This coffee is the result of 800 coffee farmers in and around the Wote Konga kebele, each of whom tend an average of 2 hectares at altitudes of 1,800 to 2,000 meters.
2. Sun-Dried Ethiopia Konga combines processing method and terroir to present a unforgettable
- Sun drying coffees is not easy. If the cherries aren’t turned and rotated--protected from being exposed to too much moisture--unpleasant flavor notes can develop. The drying methods and meticulous practices used in Wote Konga are evident in this complex, beautiful cup.
- Surprising for a sun-dried coffee, our Sun-Dried Ethiopia Konga starts with some pleasant lemon citrus notes. But like most sun-dried coffees, this coffee also has strawberry and dark cherry flavors, a full body and chocolatey mouth feel.
We all did toast and started to eat the Ethiopia Konga along with the berries cake. To be honest, I'm not a fan of coffee.. '___' When I am in Starbucks, my favorite drinks are always Green Tea Latte / Hazelnut Chocolate / Signature Chocolate. So don't ask me how it tastes. I will absolutely say that all black coffees are bitter and took one sip is more than enough for me. *ROTFL
For the reliable testimony, I asked my co-worker instead. Let's call him Mr. SB! He's a true coffee addict (never see him skip his coffee even only one day) and he said that Ethiopia Konga is has unique taste! Not too sour, not too bitter, with medium mouth feel-taste. It tastes fresh, light and not over powering. The berry flavor from this Ethiopia Konga is enjoyable and there is slight floral scent :D He's loving it and often brew Ethiopia Konga in office after bought a whole bean pack.
|Anthony Cottan (left), Neil Storey (right)|
“During our 13 years in the Indonesia market, we’ve been excited to watch the local coffee culture flourish in Surabaya, and as it continues to develop, we find our customers are increasingly looking for an ultra-premium coffee experience – and our Starbucks Reserve™ coffees meet this need,” said Anthony Cottan, C.O.O, of Starbucks Coffee Indonesia. All coffee is specially brewed by Starbucks baristas who are certified Starbucks Coffee Masters. Every sip of the reserve coffee would demonstrate the special care taken in all aspects of operation as your palate tastes the intense yet delicate flavors produced. This opening is a very proud moment.”
For store dedication, they did it in unusual way. Anthony Cottan (C.O.O of Starbucks Coffee Indonesia), Neil Storey (GM Galaxy Mall) and other staffs poured water into brewer, instead of doing regular ceremonial ribbon cutting scissors :D Congratulations!
The event was in half-way to end, all invitees were allowed to order free Sbux for themselves and enjoyed free snacks till 9 PM ;) Let's see how crowded it was!
As usual I ordered Hazelnut Chocolate for myself! XD
Because I was starving, I decided to take away my order and looked for some foods before went home. Unfortunately because the venue was too packed with people, I couldn't meet my food bloggers friends >_<
Thank you Starbucks Reserve™
Wish you a huge success!
Jl. Dharma Husada Indah Timur No. 35-37
Ground Floor No. 074 (next to SOGO)